This is a multi-day event.
This event has multiple locations.
Principals of K – 12 schools
About this Learning Opportunity
The Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium (ERLC) is hosting a one-year Community of Practice for principals from October 2015 to April 2016. Principals will meet monthly (no visit will be scheduled for December) to engage in personal professional learning that includes school visits to view exemplary leadership in action, professional dialogue, networking, and reflection.
The goals of this project are to:
- Observe how the seven competencies outlined in Alberta Education’s Principal Quality Practice Guideline, 2009 are “lived” in today’s schools, within the context of ongoing change and limited resources.
- Engage in examining research (including the host principal’s own “action research”) related to the seven leadership dimensions; connect research to your own practice; and reflect on implications for your work as leader in your school.
- The series will begin with a half-day orientation session in October 2015, followed up with five half-day visits to five Edmonton area schools (a combination of elementary, junior high and high schools).
- At each school, you will engage in dialogue/Q&A with the host principal; tour key areas of the school; connect to current research; discuss/reflect on implications for your work as a leader.
- Each visit will highlight/focus on one of the leadership dimensions outlined in the Principal Quality Practice Guideline: embodying visionary leadership; leading a learning community; instructional leadership; building leadership capacity; and responding to the larger societal context. The dimensions of fostering effective relationships and managing school operations and resources will be integrated into all sessions. You will have the opportunity to share your own experiences and strategies related to the dimension highlighted.
This session is being offered on a cost recovery basis.
About the Facilitator
Corrie Ziegler has been an educator for over 36 years and prior to joining Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium, she worked as a teacher, principal, supervisor and director with Edmonton Public Schools. She has led AISI projects, managed teams, and has facilitated numerous sessions on a broad spectrum of topics related to teaching and learning. Corrie believes in the power of collaboration and has coached numerous learning communities in working together to achieve high levels of engagement and learning for all students.