Words Their Way™ Word Study in Action Introductory Workshop
|Date:||March 13, 2017|
|Time:||9:00 am – 3:30 pm|
(includes lunch, which is not prepared in a nut/gluten-free environment)
Edmonton (Fantasyland Hotel)
17700 - 87 Avenue
Who should attend
Grades K-7 Teachers, Literacy Coaches with familiarity with Words Their Way: Word Study in Action
About this learning opportunity
This workshop will provide you with an overview of the Words Their Way™: Word Study in Action Developmental Model resource including components and strategies to ensure successful implementation.
Highlights of this professional learning include:
- Review the research findings around developmentally appropriate stages of word work, and vocabulary
- Understand the stages of development and instructional levels critical to learning to read and write
- Unpack the five stages of spelling development: Emergent Early, Letter Name, Word Patterns, Syllables and Affixes, Derivational Relations
- Examine key factors involving word study and recognize and demonstrate word sorting as an instructional strategy
- Connect students’ reading needs with word study activities
- Practice word sort activities to promote phonics, spelling, and vocabulary acquisition
- General overview of this developmental approach to spelling, phonics, and vocabulary instruction
You will become aware of the benefits of implementing this program in comparison to a traditional spelling program. You will come to understand how Words Their Way is one component of a balanced literacy program. Recognize the importance of linking the spelling inventory results to writing and benchmark reading assessment.
Fantasyland Hotel is pleased to offer ERLC an “open block” for this event. Individual reservations can be made by contacting their Hotel Reservations Department directly at (780) 444-5541 or toll-free at 1 (800) 737-3783. Callers MUST ask for Edmonton Regional Learning Consortium's corporate weekday rate of $164.00 and $210.00 weekend rate.
This learning opportunity is being provided through a grant from Alberta Education.
About the facilitator(s)
Barbara Nicholson retired from her role as Principal (French Immersion) to pursue her passion of promoting excellence in Literacy on a broader scope. As a consultant and presenter of First Steps in Literacy, she worked with system leaders Canada-wide to include this excellent research-based approach to teaching Literacy.
As a co-ordinating principal at The Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, she was instrumental in the writing, delivering and evaluation of Additional Qualifications courses for teachers, in the areas of Literacy and Mathematics.
Working with leaders from the Ontario Public School Boards Association, Barbara helped to create leaning modules to assist schools and system leaders to embrace “Accessibility for All” “The Accepting Schools Act, Bill 13” in all Ontario schools.
Most recently, Barbara worked with teachers from International Schools in the Greater Toronto Area to introduce and consolidate “Words Their Way,” with the goal of helping teachers to include a stellar approach to Word Study as part a Balanced Literacy program.